Building BiPAP Machine

While making the Mechanical Ventilator with BiPAP Mode i came across a few variables that might conflict each other. Additionally I was wondering since the BiPAP is a non invasive ventilator,

1. does pulse account for the dead space in the mask.
  2. and the pressure and volume loss due to the mask ?

What parameters would be ideal to expose to the user when making the BiPAP Mode.

Would i need to par it with a simple mask to simulate the mask of the BiPAP Machine

A good resource for understanding the ventilator configuration settings is the online documentation.

Probably the easiest way to simulate a BiPAP machine is to use the CPAP mode and set the PositiveEndExpiredPressure to the EPAP value and the DeltaPressureSupport value to your IPAP-EPAP value. You can see an example of these settings in HowTo-MechanicalVentilator.cpp and looks like this:

SEMechanicalVentilatorContinuousPositiveAirwayPressure cpap;
  cpap.SetConnection(eSwitch::On);
  cpap.SetInspirationWaveform(eDriverWaveform::Square);
  cpap.GetDeltaPressureSupport().SetValue(10.0, PressureUnit::cmH2O);
  cpap.GetPositiveEndExpiredPressure().SetValue(5.0, PressureUnit::cmH2O);

The CPAP model automatically maps to SEMechanicalVentilatorConfiguration parameters. You can use the ToSettings method to expose all configuration settings.

1. does pulse account for the dead space in the mask.
  2. and the pressure and volume loss due to the mask ?

Pulse does account for those things. The dead space can be changed with the ConnectionVolume setting. You can modify air escaping by using the MechanicalVentilatorLeak action, which is also shown in the HowTo-MechanicalVentilator.cpp example.

What parameters would be ideal to expose to the user when making the BiPAP Mode.

I think the existing CPAP mode probably has the standard parameters you would want.

Would i need to par it with a simple mask to simulate the mask of the BiPAP Machine

No. It will assume the mask is being used with the ventilator if you don’t explicitly set the intubate action.

1 Like