Issues Setting Up A Viame Build

Hello @jcfr,

I am having issues with following the quick build instructions for VIAME as described here: GitHub - VIAME/VIAME: Video and Image Analytics for Multiple Environments
I want to have a VIAME build with VIAME_ENABLE_SMQTK, YOLO, OPENCV, PYTORCH, VXL, and VIVIA enabled, and it seems I need to follow those steps as described in the above link.
I have encountered many issues, and after getting compilers finally set up and working I am encountering this error:
C:\VIAME\Proj> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release source
– Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.22621.0 to target Windows .
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.27/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:756 (message):
Compiling the CUDA compiler identification source file
“CMakeCUDACompilerId.cu” failed.

Compiler:

Build flags:

Id flags: --keep;–keep-dir;tmp -v

The output was:

MSBuild version 17.6.3+07e294721 for .NET Framework

Build started 7/7/2023 4:00:53 PM.

Project
“C:\VIAME\Proj\CMakeFiles\3.27.0-rc4\CompilerIdCUDA\CompilerIdCUDA.vcxproj”
on node 1 (default targets).

PrepareForBuild:

Creating directory "Debug\".
Creating directory "Debug\CompilerIdCUDA.tlog\".

InitializeBuildStatus:

Creating "Debug\CompilerIdCUDA.tlog\unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.

AddCudaCompileDeps:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.36.32532\bin\HostX64\x64\cl.exe /E /nologo /showIncludes /TP /D__CUDACC__ /D__CUDACC_VER_MAJOR__=12 /D__CUDACC_VER_MINOR__=2 /D_MBCS /Iinclude /Ibin /Iinclude /I. /FIcuda_runtime.h /c C:\VIAME\Proj\CMakeFiles\3.27.0-rc4\CompilerIdCUDA\CMakeCUDACompilerId.cu

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\BuildCustomizations\CUDA
12.2.targets(606,9): error : The CUDA Toolkit v12.2 directory ‘’ does not
exist. Please verify the CUDA Toolkit is installed properly or define the
CudaToolkitDir property to resolve this error.
[C:\VIAME\Proj\CMakeFiles\3.27.0-rc4\CompilerIdCUDA\CompilerIdCUDA.vcxproj]

Done Building Project
(default targets) – FAILED.

Build FAILED.

(default target) (1) →

(ValidateCudaBuild target) →

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\BuildCustomizations\CUDA 12.2.targets(606,9): error : The CUDA Toolkit v12.2 directory '' does not exist.  Please verify the CUDA Toolkit is installed properly or define the CudaToolkitDir property to resolve this error. [C:\VIAME\Proj\CMakeFiles\3.27.0-rc4\CompilerIdCUDA\CompilerIdCUDA.vcxproj]

0 Warning(s)
  1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.73

Call Stack (most recent call first):
C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.27/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:8 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID_BUILD)
C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.27/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:53 (__determine_compiler_id_test)
C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.27/Modules/CMakeDetermineCUDACompiler.cmake:307 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID)
CMakeLists.txt:26 (enable_language)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I think a possible issue could be that my computer doesn’t have a CUDA enable GPU card mine is Intel (R) UHD Graphics 620. I am not sure what I could do to change that.
Let me know what solutions you would suggest, or if you need any additional information

Re: “I want to have a VIAME build with VIAME_ENABLE_SMQTK, YOLO, OPENCV, PYTORCH, VXL, and VIVIA enabled, and it seems I need to follow those steps as described in the above link.”

You do not need to do a build just have a build or installer with these settings, as the default binaries on GitHub - VIAME/VIAME: Video and Image Analytics for Multiple Environments page have all these settings enabled by default, including the windows ones.

Should you desire to do a build regardless of this, windows is more difficult than Linux. I would first check you are using the correct CUDA version specified in the build instructions, 11.6, 11.7 instead of v12.0+

The scripts located in https://github.com/VIAME/VIAME/blob/main/cmake/build_server_windows.bat show how the dashboard servers perform a full windows build, if that is easier.