Set flow to max rate?

I’m interested in modeling extreme injuries; e.g., a leg amputation. Based on several examples related to the combat multitrauma examples, I see hemorrhage rates on a leg ranging from 70-100 mL/min. I also see that if the rate is too high, pulse will get an error because the compartment will become empty.

Rather than trial and error to see what will work for how long, is it possible to ask for a “max” rate that will automatically select the largest value that doesn’t cause pulse to error? Or perhaps a different rate that isn’t technically the max, but is the max realistic rate. Maybe dynamically adjusting over time as needed?

We do have plans to put in a hemorrhage action that will take a severity rather than a flow.
This will be a resistance based implementation that will reduce the rate as part of the circuit calculation, so the drop in blood pressure will slow the rate down automagically.

As for an amputations, @rachel.clipp can address that better than me.

Hello,

Yes, we plan to add an hemorrhage action that will accept a severity or potentially an initial hemorrhage rate. Then implement that rate as a resistance rather than a flow source. This would provide natural control for the hemorrhage rate over time as the rate would be dictated by the blood pressure. Hopefully, this is coming in the next release at the end of the summer.

As for amputation, we have discussed this as well. The best option would be to remove the circuit components associated with the amputed region (the leg), these paths would then be converted to paths leading to a ground. Again this would allow the flow to be dictated by the pressure. Amputation would most likely also have some systemic effects related to the shock that would need to be implemented.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Rachel

Those both sound like great features. Looking forward to it!

Privacy Notice